The Chamber

The history of the Chamber is almost as colorful & eventful as the founding of the town.

THE CHAMBER

Founded in 1900 by George T. Beck as “The Cody Club,” the first organization was a sports-man’s club and practically every man in the county joined, including Col. William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, who was elected “permanent first vice president.”

The Cody Club enjoyed periods of great activity, several dormant periods and in 1919 a commercial club was organized that evolved into the Cody Chamber of Commerce. The first noonday lunch began February 11, 1920 at the Chamberlin Hotel. By 1941 the regular Monday lunch meetings had moved to The Cody Club Room at the Cody Auditorium, and that tradition continues today.

Thanks to a generous donation from the late Paul Stock, the chamber moved into its current headquarters in 1968. The building we occupy was the original Buffalo Bill Museum and additional office space was added in 1998. We share our quarters with the Cody Country Art League.

Today, the Cody Country Chamber of Commerce enjoys a membership of more than 600, making it the fifth largest in Wyoming—not bad for a community of 9,800!

The Chamber coordinates two of the largest events of the year in Cody – The Buffalo Bill Art Show and Sale and Cody High Style.

Our full-service visitors center is open year-round and offer member referrals, trip-planning, ticket sales and expert advice on everything there is to do and see in and around Cody and the Yellowstone area.

The committee structure has changed over the years to reflect the issues of the time. The chamber currently has four active committees: Ambassadors, Government Affairs/National Parks, Cody Marketing Council, and the Buffalo Bill Art Show.













 

VISITOR CENTER HOURS
Memorial Day Weekend to September 30
Open 7 days a week, 8am to 7pm!